The Systems Engineer is responsible for fulfilling the DevOps function at Vubiquity and also for the monitoring of the day-to-day technical support operations for services provided for the Linux systems. The aim of the role is to ensure the highest levels of service and systems uptime for all platforms managed by Vubiquity, achieved through a proactive approach to systems maintenance and workflow pipelines and a positive reactive response to issues as and when they may arise.
1. 3-5 years of relevant work experience, including with Unix/Linux systems requiring the use of languages like Python, Perl, Shell or PHP
2. Implementation and guidance of DevOps practices
3. End-to-end support of the Linux Server Estate and working with other teams to support Windows & Appliance platforms
4. Implement & maintain Orchestration and deployment pipelines.
5. Frequent Scripting and Application Development around the Business Workflows
6. Automate server configuration, installation and maintenance, Using Standard Industry Tooling (JenkinsCI/Terraform/SaltStack)
7. Support of tooling and platform for our Cloud & On-Prem estate (AWS/VMWare/Azure/Docker)
8. Root cause analysis of identified problems and propose corrective and preventive action plans to resolve them
9. Maintaining a mindset of continuous improvement in terms of the application of tools for monitoring, managing and optimisation.
10. Support, both in office hours, on a rota for out-of-hours and on call
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· University Degree, or equivalent
· Good Demonstrable Knowledge of the Linux OS and ecosystem
· Proven ability to work with speed and accuracy to deadlines
· Software installation and configuration of Linux, CentOS/RHEL based systems
· Experience dealing with Java application servers, specifically Apache Tomcat
· Knowledge of MySQL or Postgres
· Linux scripting knowledge (Bash/Python)
· Understanding of XML, JSON, YAML and similar Markup Languages
· Knowledge and understanding of AWS, Azure and General cloud computing best practice
Beneficial Knowledge Skills and Experience